FINNv1 biomass burning emissions
FINN is available as an option for simulations with GEOS-Chem v10-01 and higher versions via the HEMCO emissions component. While the standard GEOS-Chem simulation uses GFED4 biomass burning emissions, you may select FINN instead of GFED4 if your research requires it.
"The Fire INventory from NCAR version 1.0 (FINNv1) provides daily, 1-km resolution, global estimates of the trace gas and particle emissions from open
burning of biomass, which includes wildfire, agricultural fires, and pre- scribed burning and does not include biofuel use and trash burning" (Wiedinmyer et al., 2011). For more information about this inventory, see:
Wiedinmyer, C., S. K. Akagi, R .J. Yokelson, L. K. Emmons, J. A. Al-Saadi, J. J. Orlando, and A. J. Soja. The Fire INventory from NCAR (FINN): a high resolution global model to estimate the emissions from open burning. Geosci. Model Dev., 4, 625–641, 2011. 
Since GEOS-Chem v10-01. the FINN biomass burning emissions have been computed by the HEMCO emissions component. The FINN emisisons data files adhere to the COARDs netCDF standard in order to facilitate data IO via HEMCO. The data files corresponding to 3 different versions of FINN (v1.1, v1.5, and v1.6) are described below. For detailed instructions on how to download these data files to your disk server, please see our Downloading the HEMCO data directories wiki post.
FINN v1.6 data
The latest version of the FINN biomass burning inventory (v1.6) will ship with GEOS-Chem v11-02. FINN v1.6 is turned off in the "out-of-the-box" GEOS-Chem simulations (GFED is used instead). However you can turn on FINN emissions in the HEMCO emissions component if you would like to use it for your research.
The updates from earlier versions of FINN include:
- Fire detections are from MODIS Collection 6 (C6) fire detections downloaded in June 2017
- Emissions for 2017 are for Jan 1 - June 08, 2017 (and are the NRT product).
- FINN input files were driven by year specific VCF and LCT datasets.
- Years past 2012 (for LCT) and 2014 (for LCT) used the latest inputs possible. (i.e., input files for 2015, 2016 and 2017 used 2012 LCT and 2014 VCF).
- Emission factors were updated using 2015 updates to Akagi et al. and 2014 updates for Temperate Evergreen Forests.
- Fuel loading for Oceania were updated.
For more information, please see: this README file.
These data are stored in the HEMCO data directories path: ExtData/HEMCO/FINN/v2018-04.
Update 02 May 2018
From: "Christine Wiedinmyer" <firstname.lastname@example.org> Subject: FINN UPDATE- PLEASE READ Date: May 2, 2018 at 9:15:47 AM EDT To: <email@example.com>, "'Carl Drews'" <firstname.lastname@example.org> Cc: <email@example.com> Hello, You are receiving this email because you have downloaded at least one FINNv1.6 emissions file from http://bai.acom.ucar.edu/Data/fire/ It has recently been brought to my attention that some of the files include incorrect emission estimates. In light of this recent discovery, we have removed FINNv1.6 from the site and replaced the files available for download with FINNv1.5 It is not recommended that you continue the use of FINNv1.6. I am currently looking into the issues and reprocessing the files now. You will be contacted when the next version is completed and available for download. I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience. Christine Wiedinmyer http://bai.acom.ucar.edu/Data/fire/ firstname.lastname@example.org
FINN v1.5 data
Jenny Fisher (U. Wollongong), Jingqiu Mao (Princeton, now U. Alaska-Fairbanks), and Christine Wiedinmyer (NCAR) have worked to implement FINNv1 into the standard version of GEOS-Chem. This implementation includes a number of features, many of which are improvements over the non-standard implementations currently used (see below):
- Improved speciation for GEOS-Chem, including specialty simulations like SOA
- Compatibility with new emissions module (including use of netcdf, high-resolution inputs, online regridding, etc.)
- GFED-like online computation of emissions for most species based on emissions of a single species for each land type (significantly reducing file storage requirements)
- Ability to use daily or monthly emissions
If you have questions or suggestions, please contact Jenny Fisher (jennyf at uow dot edu dot au) and Jingqiu Mao
These data are located in the HEMCO data directories path: ExtData/HEMCO/FINN/v2015-02.
FINN v1.1 data
This version of FINN has since been retired in GEOS-Chem.
A new version of FINNv1 emissions has been implemented GEOS-Chem v10-01 via the HEMCO emissions component. The new implementation starts from CO2 emissions (gridded to high resolution from original FINN files) for 6 different land types. CO2 emissions are converted to emissions of other gas phase and aerosol species using emission ratios provided by Christine Wiedinmyer. Emissions of non-methane organic compounds are derived from a single NMOC species (also computed from ratios to CO2) using speciation factors (also provided by Christine Wiedinmyer). These calculations are performed online in GEOS-Chem, then summed over land types and regridded to model resolution. FINN can be used with daily or monthly resolution, and emissions will be available with a lag of approximately 6 months behind real time (in special cases, near-real-time emissions can also be provided).
This implementation includes support for many species, including those used in specialised GEOS-Chem simulations. Some of these species are not currently emitted in publicly available releases of GEOS-Chem, and interested users will be responsible for adding relevant emissions-related code (i.e. defining IDBs, etc.). No changes to the FINN code itself should be necessary to use these species. The current list of FINN species includes:
- Species currently emitted by biomass burning in standard versions for full chemistry and/or specialty simulations (no code changes necessary): CO2, CO, CH4, NO, SO2, OC, BC, NH3, ACET, ALD2, ALK4, BENZ, C2H2, C2H4, C2H6, C3H8, CH2BR2, CH2O, CH3BR, GLYC, GLYX, HAC, MEK, MGLY, PRPE, TOLU, XYLE
- Species either not currently emitted or emitted but not by biomass burning in standard versions (code changes necessary): ACTA, CH3CN, CH3I, DMS, EOH, HCN, HCOOH, HNO2, ISOP, MACR, MNO3, MOH, MVK, R4N2, RCHO, LIMO, MTPA, MTPO
- Species currently lumped online in the FINN code: ETBENZ (with TOLU), STYR (with TOLU), TMB (with XYLE), APINE (with MTPA), BPINE (with MTPA), CARENE (with MTPA)
- Species/groupings that don't currently exist but that are defined in FINN inputs for possible implementation by interested users: AROM, FUR, ROH, RCOOH, SESQ
For the original lumping of VOCs into GEOS-Chem species, see FINN_final_lumping.pdf
Potential future updates include more detailed treatment of terpenes and of secondary species like PAN. If you have an interest in working on emissions of these species, please contact me (email@example.com) and/or Christine (firstname.lastname@example.org).
--Jenny Fisher, 4 June 2014
Previous issues that are now resolved
Minor fixes for FINNv1
NOTE: The following issue was resolved during the public comment period for GEOS-Chem v10-01.
Luke Schiferl (MIT) noted that the entries for FINNv1 biomass burning in the HEMCO configuration files that ship with the GEOS-Chem Unit Tester were not consistent with the most recent FINNv1 data. We have therefore edited the HEMCO configuration files accordingly with the proper entries:
(((.not.FINN_daily 114 FINN_VEGTYP1 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_monthly_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype1 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 114 FINN_VEGTYP2 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_monthly_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype2 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 114 FINN_VEGTYP3 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_monthly_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype3 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 114 FINN_VEGTYP4 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_monthly_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype4 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 114 FINN_VEGTYP5 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_monthly_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype5 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 114 FINN_VEGTYP9 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_monthly_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype9 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 ))).not.FINN_daily (((FINN_daily 114 FINN_DAILY_VEGTYP1 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_daily_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype1 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 114 FINN_DAILY_VEGTYP2 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_daily_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype2 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 114 FINN_DAILY_VEGTYP3 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_daily_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype3 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 114 FINN_DAILY_VEGTYP4 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_daily_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype4 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 114 FINN_DAILY_VEGTYP5 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_daily_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype5 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 114 FINN_DAILY_VEGTYP9 $ROOT/FINN/v2015-02/FINN_daily_$YYYY_0.25x0.25.compressed.nc fire_vegtype9 $YYYY/1-12/1/0 C xy kg/m2/s * - 1 1 )))FINN_daily
We also fixed a bug in HEMCO that was causing the default FINN biomass diagnostics to be zeroed out.
Bug fixes in FINN indexing
NOTE: The following issue was resolved in GEOS-Chem v11-01.
Several users reported problems using the HEMCO extension for FINN biomass burning emissions in GEOS-Chem v10-01. When users turn on the FINN extension with bounds checking turned on, GEOS-Chem returns the error:
forrtl: severe (408): fort: (2): Subscript #1 of the array SPCNAMES has value 21 which is greater than the upper bound of 18
Christoph Keller wrote:
- The FINN indexing can get messed up. Jenny Fisher and I have updated the FINN module and this update should fix the problem. This fix is included in HEMCO v2.0.
- From what I can tell the FINN bug primarily impacted carbon aerosol emissions while it looks like other species emissions are fine.
- Attached is the updated FINN module. It replaces the original hcox_finn_mod.F90 module in /HEMCO/Extensions. This module has been tested with HEMCO v1.1.016 and higher but not yet within the v10-01 public release code of GEOS-Chem.
- This version also requires an update to your HEMCO_Config.rc: the scale factors need to be specified as Scaling_CO instead of CO scale factor:
114 FINN : off NO/CO/ALK4/ACET/MEK/ALD2/PRPE/C3H8/CH2O/C2H6/SO2/NH3/BCPI/BCPO/OCPI/OCPO/GLYC/HAC --> FINN_daily : false --> Scaling_CO : 1.0
NOTE: This fix will only work with GEOS-Chem v11-01e and later versions because GEOS-Chem was updated to HEMCO v1.1.016 in that version.