CEDS anthropogenic emissions
Global anthropogenic emissions from the Community Emissions Data System (CEDS) inventory. Emission species include aerosol (BC, OC) and aerosol precursor and reactive compounds (SO2, NOx, NH3, CH4, CO, NMVOC) and CO2. CEDS emissions are available for 1750-2014, but only 1950-2014 have been processed for implementation into GEOS-Chem v11-02f. CEDS emissions replace EDGAR as the default global anthropogenic inventory in GEOS-Chem.
For more information see the original CEDS README files:
Original data were downloaded from https://esgf-node.llnl.gov/search/input4mips/ and were processed for GEOS-Chem. The processing scripts can be found in the ExtData/HEMCO/CEDS/v2014-08/scripts subdirectory.
Updates introduces in GEOS-Chem 12.3.2
This update was included in GEOS-Chem 12.3.2, which was released on 02 May 2019.
Additional files have been added to the HEMCO/CEDS/v2018-08/ data directory:
- The CEDS emissions have been processed for use in GEOS-Chem for the entire CEDS record (1750-2014). Previously, only 1950-2014 was available.
- Several additional VOCs from the CEDS inventory have also been processed. See the CEDS_edit.sh script for more details on the CEDS species. The new files are:
TMB-em-anthro_CMIP_CEDS_YYYY.nc OTHER_VOC-em-anthro_CMIP_CEDS_YYYY.nc OTHER_AROM-em-anthro_CMIP_CEDS_YYYY.nc ETHERS-em-anthro_CMIP_CEDS_YYYY.nc ESTERS-em-anthro_CMIP_CEDS_YYYY.nc CHC-em-anthro_CMIP_CEDS_YYYY.nc BUTENE-em-anthro_CMIP_CEDS_YYYY.nc
Previous issues that are now resolved
Reduce file size for CEDS inventory
Jiawei Zhuang wrote:
- The newly-added CEDS data are 140 GB in total. This increases the size of the default HEMCO data directory from ~70 GB to ~210 GB.
- The problem is that 65 years (1950~2014) of data are stored in a single file. But most users would probably just need recent years. Would it be more reasonable to use one file per year? Other biggish data such as QFED are also stored in a per-year basis. This saves downloading time and also reduces the size of the tutorial AMI on AWS from 200+ GB to ~80 GB.
In addition to splitting up the CEDS file by year, we also found that the netCDF files in HEMCO/CEDS/v2018-04/ were not compressed. These have now been compressed using nccopy -d1 bringing the directory size down from 140 GB to 26 GB.
NOTE: GCHP will continue to use the multi-year CEDS files instead of the yearly files. In ExtData.rc, the token %y4 was used in the file paths for the yearly CEDS files. However, MAPL replaces the token with the current simulation year. This causes issues if the simulation year is beyond the last year of CEDS emissions available (2014). To avoid this issue for now, we will revert to using the multi-year CEDS files in HEMCO/CEDS/v2018-04/ instead of the yearly files in HEMCO/CEDS/v2018-08/.
Include CEDS ship emissions
The CEDS inventory includes emissions from ships for all species included in the inventory (SO2, NOx, CO, NMVOCs, NH3, BC, OC, CO2, CH4). The Emissions & Deposition Working Group leaders have approved the CEDS ship emissions as the default global ship emissions inventory for GEOS-Chem 12. The HEMCO configuration file has been updated to include the CEDS_SHIP option, which will be set to true by default. CEDS ship emissions will overwrite the other global ship emissions (ICOADS, ARCTAS, CORBETT, HTAP), but will be overwritten by regional ship emissions (EMEP, NEI2011) when those options are turned on.
Add missing RCO sector to CEDS emissions entries
This update was included in GEOS-Chem 12.1.0, which was released on 26 Nov 2018.
The CEDS emissions inventory includes 8 sectors:
- AGR: Non-combustion agricultural sector
- ENE: Energy transformation and extraction
- IND: Industrial combustion and processes
- TRA: Surface Transportation (Road, Rail, Other)
- RCO: Residential, commercial, and other
- SLV: Solvents
- WST: Waste disposal and handling
- SHP: International shipping (including VOCs from oil tanker loading/leakage)
The CEDS entries in HEMCO_Config.rc implemented in v11-02f were missing lines for the RCO sector. This has now been corrected. For GCHP, entries for the RCO sector have been added to the ExtData.rc file as well.
- CEDS website: http://www.globalchange.umd.edu/ceds/
- Hoesly, R. M., Smith, S. J., Feng, L., Klimont, Z., Janssens-Maenhout, G., Pitkanen, T., Seibert, J. J., Vu, L., Andres, R. J., Bolt, R. M., Bond, T. C., Dawidowski, L., Kholod, N., Kurokawa, J.-I., Li, M., Liu, L., Lu, Z., Moura, M. C. P., O'Rourke, P. R., and Zhang, Q.: Historical (17502014) anthropogenic emissions of reactive gases and aerosols from the Community Emissions Data System (CEDS), Geosci. Model Dev., 11, 369-408, 2018. (Article)