This page contains links to the relevant pages which detail the aerosol emissions inventories used by GEOS-Chem.
Emissions by sector
- Aerosol emission inventories
- Anthropogenic and biofuel emission inventories
- Aircraft and ship emission inventories
- Biomass burning emission inventories
- Emissions implemented as HEMCO extensions
Online emission of marine primary organic aerosol (POA)
This update was validated with 1-month benchmark simulation v11-01b and 1-year benchmark simulation v11-01b-Run0. This version was approved on 19 Aug 2015.
Matthew Johnson wrote:
- The online emission parameterization for sub-micron marine primary organic aerosol (POA) was developed for implementation into GEOS-Chem at North Carolina State University (Gantt et al., 2012). The wind speed dependent size-resolved parameterization calculates the organic mass fraction of sea spray aerosol under varying levels of surface ocean chlorophyll-α concentrations ([Chl-α]). The parameterization was designed to be used for all global and regionally nested spatial resolutions and was tested in GEOS-Chem v9-02. The submicron marine POA emissions proved to improve the model-predicted concentrations of total organic aerosol concentrations over coastal and marine regions (Gantt et al., 2015).
References for this work include:
- Gantt, B., Johnson, M. S., Meskhidze, N., Sciare, J., Ovadnevaite, J., Ceburnis, D., and O'Dowd, C. D.: Model evaluation of marine primary organic aerosol emission schemes, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12, 8553-8566, doi:10.5194/acp-12-8553-2012, 2012.
- Gantt, B., Johnson, M. S., Crippa, M., Prévôt, A. S. H., and Meskhidze, N.: Implementing marine organic aerosols into the GEOS-Chem model, Geosci. Model Dev., 8, 619-629, doi:10.5194/gmd-8-619-2015, 2015.
As part of this update, Matthew Johnson has provided MODIS-Aqua chlorophyll-A data. For more information about these data, please visit this post on our Leaf area indices in GEOS-Chem wiki page.
NOTE: A minor bug fix for this update was included in v11-01d to declare variable CHLR as OMP private in routine HCOX_SeaSalt_Run in file HEMCO/Extensions/hcox_seasalt_mod.F90.
--Lizzie Lundgren (talk) 15:21, 22 October 2015 (UTC)
Bug fix: Allocate the OCCONV array for marine POA simulations
This fix was included in v11-01j and approved on 03 Dec 2016
While unit testing GEOS-Chem with the GNU Fortran compiler, we discovered an error in the marine POA simulation. The array
OCCONV should have been allocated in routine
INIT_SEASALT (in module GeosCore/seasalt_mod.F) but wasn't. We have now added the following IF statement in GREEN, below the existing code:
IF ( AS /= 0 ) CALL ALLOC_ERR( 'DMID' ) DMID = 0e+0_fp ! Allocate OCCONV only for marine-POA simulations (bmy, 10/13/16) IF ( Input_Opt%LMPOA ) THEN ALLOCATE( OCCONV( IIPAR, JJPAR, LLPAR ), STAT=AS ) IF ( AS /= 0 ) CALL ALLOC_ERR( 'OCCONV' ) OCCONV = 0e+0_fp ENDIF
This will only allocate OCCONV if we are doing a marine POA simulation.
--Bob Yantosca (talk) 18:41, 13 October 2016 (UTC)