History collections for budgets
- Overview of History diagnostics
- Legend for History diagnostics
- Collections for History diagnostics
- History collections for advection and mixing
- History collections for aerosols
- History collections for budgets
- History collections for chemistry and photolysis
- History collections for convection and wet deposition
- History collections for dry deposition
- History collections for mercury and POPs
- History collections for met fields and related quantities
- History collections for methane
- History collections for species concentrations
- History collections for TransportTracers
- History collections for CO2
- Replicating the behavior of the prior timeseries diagnostics
- Adding new History diagnostics
The AdvFluxVert collection
The AdvFluxVert collection is listed on our History collections for advection and mixing page.
The Budget collection
This update was included in GEOS-Chem 12.1.0, which was released on 26 Nov 2018.
The Budget diagnostic collection was introduced in GEOS-Chem 12.1.0. It is a 2D diagnostic containing the mass tendencies per grid cell, in kg/s, for each species within a region of the column and across each GEOS-Chem component. The diagnostic is calculated by taking the difference in vertically summed column mass before and after major GEOS-Chem components.
There are three column regions defined for this diagnostic: troposphere-only, PBL-only, and full column. By post-processing this diagnostic you can calculate global mass change or mass change across regions by summing the diagnostic values for the relevant grid cells. You can also retrieve the mass change across a longer chunk of time by multiplying the time-averaged output by the number of seconds in the averaging period.
While there are seven major components in GEOS-Chem, there are only six implemented for the budget diagnostics. Emissions and dry deposition components are combined together for this diagnostic because of the way they are applied at the same time. Furthermore, if using non-local PBL mixing then the emissions and dry deposition budget diagnostic will not capture all fluxes from these sources and sinks. This is because emissions and dry deposition tendencies below the PBL are applied within mixing instead. When using full mixing, however, mixing and emissions/dry deposition budget diagnostics are fully separated.
Here is a sample definition section for the Budget collection such that 1-month averages are output per species.
- To prevent an individual field from being included in the diagnostic output, place a comment character # in front of the field name. This will prevent the diagnostic arrays from being initialized and therefore reduce required memory.
- You may also replace the species wildcards with individual species names, e.g. BudgetChemistryFull_O3 for full column ozone.
- Please see our Legend for History diagnostics page for more information about each of the collection tags.
#============================================================================== # %%%%% THE Budget COLLECTION %%%%% # # GEOS-Chem budget diagnostics defined as species kg/s in the column # (full, troposphere, or PBL) due to a single component (e.g. chemistry) # (default = advected species) # # Available for all simulations #============================================================================== Budget.template: '%y4%m2%d2_%h2%n2z.nc4', Budget.format: 'CFIO', Budget.frequency: 00000100 000000 Budget.duration: 00000100 000000 Budget.mode: 'time-averaged' Budget.fields: 'BudgetChemistryFull_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetChemistryPBL_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetChemistryTrop_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetEmisDepFull_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetEmisDepTrop_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetEmisDepPBL_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetTransportFull_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetTransportTrop_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetTransportPBL_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetMixingFull_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetMixingTrop_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetMixingPBL_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetConvectionFull_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetConvectionTrop_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetConvectionPBL_?ADV? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetWetDepFull_?WET? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetWetDepTrop_?WET? ', 'GIGCchem', 'BudgetWetDepPBL_?WET? ', 'GIGCchem',
This table describes the diagnostic quantities belonging to the Budget collection:
|BudgetXY_<spcname>||Mass tendency across component X in column region Y||kg/s||
Components X include:
Column regions Y include:
1The mixing budget diagnostics includes the application of emissions and dry deposition below the PBL if using the non-local PBL mixing scheme (vdiff).
2The emissions and dry deposition budget diagnostics will not capture all fluxes if using the non-local PBL mixing scheme since these tendencies are applied within mixing in vdiff_mod below the PBL. When using full mixing, however, mixing and emissions/dry deposition are fully separated.