David Streets regional emissions for China and SE Asia
The Streets Asia inventory has been superseded by MIX and/or MEIC.
On this page we discuss the regional anthropogenic emission inventories for China and SE Asia developed by David Streets (ANL) and colleagues.
- 1 Anthropogenic Emissions
- 2 Ship Emissions
- 3 Previous issues that are now resolved
- 4 Outstanding issues that have not been resolved
There are 3 implementations of the David Streets inventory:
This was the original inventory. See this paper for more information.
- Streets, D.G., T.C. Bond, G.R. Carmichael, S.D. Fernandes, Q. Fu, Z. Klimont, S.M. Nelson, N.Y. Tsai, M.Q. Wang, J-H. Woo, and K.F. Yarber, An inventory of gaseous and primary aerosol emissions in Asia in the year 2000, J. Geophys. Res, 108, D21, doi:10.1029/2002JD003093, 2003.
NH3 emissions seasonality in Streets 2000
This update to NH3 emissions was tested in the 1-month benchmark simulation v9-01-02j and approved on 16 Aug 2011.
NOTE about NH3 emissions: This is the latest inventory available for anthropogenic ammonia (NH3) emissions over Asia. It does not include any seasonal cycle, which for NH3 results in overestimates in winter and underestimates in spring, due to the annual cycle of agricultural activity. We correct this by using the annual total from Streets 2000 but with superimposed monthly scale factors from a global inventory compiled by Marcel Meinders and Lex Bouwman. Their inventory has not been published, but applies seasonal variation based on the length of the growing season for fertilizer use and on temperature and wind speed for everything else. This fix will be standard in v9-01-02. For more information, see:
- Fisher, J.A., Jacob, D.J., Wang, Q., et al. Sources, distribution, and acidity of sulfate-ammonium aerosol in the Arctic in winter-spring, Atmos. Environ., 45: 7301-7318, 2011.
This inventory was issued to update under-estimated China CO in the Streets 2000. Therefore, this data set only covers China. For the rest of SE Asia, the Streets 2000 is used. See this reference for more information:
- Streets, D.G, Q. Zhang, L. Wang, K. He, J. Hao, Y. Wu, Y. Tang, and G.C. Carmichael, Revisiting China's CO emissions after the Transport and Chemical Evolution over the Pacific (TRACE-P) mission: Synthesis of inventories, atmospheric modeling, and observations, J. Geophys. Res, 111, D14306, doi:10.1029/2006JD007118, 2006.
This is the most recent inventory. NOTE: Anthropogenic and biofuel emissions are lumped together, so when you use this in GEOS-Chem, you have to zero out the biofuel emissions. This is done in the streets_anthro_mod.f already.
The Streets 2006 inventory will be used by the code automatically for dates past Jan 1, 2006. You may also set the emissions base year to 2006 manually in the input.geos file.
See these references for more information:
- INTEX-B, http://mic.greenresource.cn/intex-b2006; or http://www.cgrer.uiowa.edu/EMISSION_DATA_new/index_16.html
- Zhang, Q., Streets, D. G., Carmichael, G. R., He, K. B., Huo, H., Kannari, A., Klimont, Z., Park, I. S., Reddy, S., Fu, J. S., Chen, D., Duan, L., Lei, Y., Wang, L. T., and Yao, Z. L.: Asian emissions in 2006 for the NASA INTEX-B mission, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 9, 5131-5153, 2009.
Previous issues that are now resolved
Double counting of Streets biofuel emissions
Please see this wiki post about a bug that was discovered in GEOS-Chem v9-01-01 that resulted in a double-counting of David Streets biofuel emissions over Asia. This was corrected in GEOS-Chem v9-01-02.
Bug fix for Streets biofuel emissions
This update was tested in the 1-month benchmark simulation v9-01-02s and approved on 5 Nov 2011.
Currently, in biofuel_mod.F:
IF ( LSTREETS .and. ( SIM_YEAR >= 2001 ) ) THEN ! If we are over the SE Asia region IF ( GET_SE_ASIA_MASK( I, J ) > 0d0 ) THEN BIOFUEL(N,I,J) = 0.d0 ENDIF ENDIF
Chris Miller wrote:
- This will zero every tracer that has biofuel emissions in the Streets region. However, Streets only covers the anthropogenic emissions of the following VOCs - ALK4, ALD2, PRPE, C3H8, C2H6, MEK, ACET and CH2O. Thus you should not zero the remaining VOC tracers.
Duplicate ship emissions in Asia in Streets 2000 inventory
This update was tested in the 1-month benchmark simulation v9-01-03f and approved on 17 Feb 2012.
The anthropogenic emissions from the Streets 2000 inventory include ship emissions for NOx, SO2, and CO. This results in duplication of ship emissions when a global ship emissions inventory is used in model versions at least through v9-01-02. This will be fixed in GEOS-Chem v9-01-03 by setting Streets anthropogenic NOx, SO2, and CO emissions to 0 for boxes that are 100% ocean. However, there may still be extra enhancements in coastal grid boxes, where land-based and ship emissions cannot be separated in this inventory.
This problem affects all simulations over Asia for model years 2000 and earlier. It also affects nested model runs for model years between 2001-2005 due to a bug in choosing the simulation year in the nested model, at least through v9-01-02. This separate problem will also be fixed in GEOS-Chem v9-01-03.
--Jenny Fisher, 31 January 2012
Bug fix in streets_anthro_mod.F for offline simulations
This update was tested in the 1-month benchmark simulation v9-01-03h and approved on 09 Mar 2012.
Fabien Paulot wrote:
- I just found a little bug in the streets emission routine
!================================================================= ! Apply seasonal variation to NH3 based on seasonality from ! Lex Bouwman. Follow methodology in emep_mod.f (jaf, 3/2/11) !================================================================= ! Get TAU value for 1995, since the data is timestamped w/ this TAU1995 = GET_TAU0( GET_MONTH(), 1, 1995 ) ! For NH3 only ... IF ( TRACERN == IDTNH3 ) THEN ! File name containing scaling factors FILENAME_S = TRIM( DATA_DIR_1x1 ) // & 'Streets_200607/NH3-Streets-SeasonalScalar.generic.1x1' ! Tracer number for scale factor data RATIOID = 74 ! Echo info WRITE( 6, 101 ) TRIM( FILENAME_S ) 101 FORMAT( ' - READ_STREETS: Reading ', a ) ! Read scaling factors CALL READ_BPCH2( FILENAME_S, 'RATIO-2D', RATIOID, & TAU1995, I1x1, J1x1-1, & 1, SCALAR_1x1, QUIET=.TRUE. ) ! Apply seasonal scalar to NH3 emissions ARRAY(:,:,1) = ARRAY(:,:,1) * SCALAR_1x1(:,:,1) ENDIF
- The instruction TRACERN == IDTNH3 should be replaced by TRACER == 30 to avoid issues with the offline chemistry where idtnh3 is not equal to 30.
- This routine is being called by
CALL READ_STREETS( FILENAME, 'ANTHSRCE', 30, TAU2000, NH3 )
- for NH3
- So it seems to me, you are not going to scale NH3 if IDTNH3 is not equal to 30.
Bug in regridding of Streets emissions
This issue was resolved in GEOS-Chem v9-02e, which was approved on 09 Jan 2013.
Please see this wiki post which describes a bug in the calls to regridding subroutine DO_REGRID_A2A from the David Streets anthropogenic emissions module GeosCore/streets_anthro_mod.F.
Bug in EMIS_STREETS_ANTHRO_05x0666
This update was tested in the 1-month benchmark simulation v9-02g and approved on 24 Mar 2013.
Jenny Fisher found two bugs in streets_anthro_mod.F (v9-01-03):
- #if defined( GEOS_5 ) || defined( MERRA ) || defined( GEOS_527 )
I think the last tag should be ( GEOS_57 ) instead of GEOS_527
- This section in EMISS_STREETS_ANTHRO is not reproduced in EMISS_STREETS_ANTHRO_05x0666:
! switch and scale CO = CO * ONOFF( 1 )