David Streets regional emissions for China and SE Asia
On this page we discuss the regional emission inventories for China and SE Asia developed by David Streets (ANL) and colleagues.
There are 3 implementations of the David Streets inventory:
This was the original inventory. See this paper for more information.
- Streets, D.G., T.C. Bond, G.R. Carmichael, S.D. Fernandes, Q. Fu, Z. Klimont, S.M. Nelson, N.Y. Tsai, M.Q. Wang, J-H. Woo, and K.F. Yarber, An inventory of gaseous and primary aerosol emissions in Asia in the year 2000, J. Geophys. Res, 108, D21, doi:10.1029/2002JD003093, 2003.
NH3 emissions seasonality in Streets 2000
This update to NH3 emissions was tested in the 1-month benchmark simulation v9-01-02j and approved on 16 Aug 2011.
NOTE about NH3 emissions: This is the latest inventory available for anthropogenic ammonia (NH3) emissions over Asia. It does not include any seasonal cycle, which for NH3 results in overestimates in winter and underestimates in spring, due to the annual cycle of agricultural activity. We correct this by using the annual total from Streets 2000 but with superimposed monthly scale factors from a global inventory compiled by Marcel Meinders and Lex Bouwman. Their inventory has not been published, but applies seasonal variation based on the length of the growing season for fertilizer use and on temperature and wind speed for everything else. This fix will be standard in v9-01-02. For more information, see:
- Fisher, J.A., Jacob, D.J., Wang, Q., et al. Sources, distribution, and acidity of sulfate-ammonium aerosol in the Arctic in winter-spring, Atmos. Environ., 45: 7301-7318, 2011.
--Jenny Fisher 17:00, 20 January 2011 (EST)
--Bob Y. 11:18, 20 December 2012 (EST)
This inventory was issued to update under-estimated China CO in the Streets 2000. Therefore, this data set only covers China. For the rest of SE Asia, the Streets 2000 is used. See this reference for more information:
- Streets, D.G, Q. Zhang, L. Wang, K. He, J. Hao, Y. Wu, Y. Tang, and G.C. Carmichael, Revisiting China's CO emissions after the Transport and Chemical Evolution over the Pacific (TRACE-P) mission: Synthesis of inventories, atmospheric modeling, and observations, J. Geophys. Res, 111, D14306, doi:10.1029/2006JD007118, 2006.
This is the most recent inventory. NOTE: Anthropogenic and biofuel emissions are lumped together, so when you use this in GEOS-Chem, you have to zero out the biofuel emissions. This is done in the streets_anthro_mod.f already.
The Streets 2006 inventory will be used by the code automatically for dates past Jan 1, 2006. You may also set the emissions base year to 2006 manually in the input.geos file.
See these references for more information:
- INTEX-B, http://mic.greenresource.cn/intex-b2006; or http://www.cgrer.uiowa.edu/EMISSION_DATA_new/index_16.html
- Zhang, Q., Streets, D. G., Carmichael, G. R., He, K. B., Huo, H., Kannari, A., Klimont, Z., Park, I. S., Reddy, S., Fu, J. S., Chen, D., Duan, L., Lei, Y., Wang, L. T., and Yao, Z. L.: Asian emissions in 2006 for the NASA INTEX-B mission, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 9, 5131-5153, 2009.
Previous issues that are now resolved
Double counting of Streets biofuel emissions
Please see this wiki post about a bug that was discovered in GEOS-Chem v9-01-01 that resulted in a double-counting of David Streets biofuel emissions over Asia. This was corrected in GEOS-Chem v9-01-02.
--Bob Y. 10:48, 18 February 2011 (EST)
Bug fix for Streets biofuel emissions
This update was tested in the 1-month benchmark simulation v9-01-02s and approved on 5 Nov 2011.
Currently, in biofuel_mod.F:
IF ( LSTREETS .and. ( SIM_YEAR >= 2001 ) ) THEN ! If we are over the SE Asia region IF ( GET_SE_ASIA_MASK( I, J ) > 0d0 ) THEN BIOFUEL(N,I,J) = 0.d0 ENDIF ENDIF
Chris Miller wrote:
- This will zero every tracer that has biofuel emissions in the Streets region. However, Streets only covers the anthropogenic emissions of the following VOCs - ALK4, ALD2, PRPE, C3H8, C2H6, MEK, ACET and CH2O. Thus you should not zero the remaining VOC tracers.
--Melissa Payer 13:26, 21 October 2011 (EDT)