Coupling GEOS-Chem with NCAR models
On this page, we provide information about ongoing efforts to interface GEOS-Chem with Earth System Models maintained by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR).
Please see our Coupling GEOS-Chem with other models wiki page for information about projects to interface GEOS-Chem with other Earth System Models.
Daniel Jacob wrote:
- Several of us were at a NCAR-GEOS-Chem meeting (July 30-31, 2018) to resolve issues in the on-line coupling of GEOS-Chem with CESM2 and WRF, and to lay the basis for integrating GEOS-Chem into the next generation of NCAR models (SingleTrack). The meeting was very productive, with a lot of interest from NCAR scientists, and laid the basis for strong collaboration in the future. You can access the meeting presentations here:
- If you are interested in contributing to development and testing of the CESM-GC and WRF-GC models I encourage you to contact the lead developers, Seb Eastham (for CESM-GC) and Tzung-May Fu (for WRF-GC).
- Sebastian Eastham (MIT)
- Tzung-May Fu (PKU)
- Haipeng Lin (Harvard; formerly PKU)
- A paper describing WRF-GC, WRF-GC: online coupling of WRF and GEOS-Chem for regional atmospheric chemistry modeling, Part 1: description of the one-way model (v1.0) (Lin et al., 2020 in review) includes a East China PM2.5 simulation for initial validation of the model. A more detailed paper by Xu Feng at PKU will include two-way coupling (i.e. feedback of GEOS-Chem chemistry to WRF meteorology) and further model validation.
- Please contact Tzung-May Fu, WRF-GC model scientist, for access to private beta and more information about the model.
- Only supporting 1 (user-defined, arbitrary location and resolution) domain at the moment, i.e. no support for "nesting" in WRF terminology. A version that fixes this will come in late Spring 2020.