Starting with GEOS-Chem v8-02-03, we have modified the directory structure of GEOS-Chem. Rather than keeping all source code files in a single directory, we now have partitioned source code files into several subdirectories. This was done in order to facilitate the eventual installation of 3rd-party software packages such as
- KPP chemical solver
- Aerosol microphysics codes (e.g. TOMAS, APM)
- ISORROPIA II
- Land surface models
into GEOS-Chem. Our guiding principle is that all 3rd-party software packages should be cleanly separatable from the main-line GEOS-Chem code. This will allow the 3rd-party software packages to be updated without having an impact on the rest of the GEOS-Chem source code files.
Another reason for updating the directory structure is simply that it's easier to keep track of the various source code files this way. Otherwise, then we would have hundreds of files in the same directory and it would be impossible to keep track of them all.
The directory structure in GEOS-Chem v8-02-03 (and higher versions) is now:
- Main level GEOS-Chem directory
- Directory containing *.h and *CMN include files
- Directory containing regular *.f and *.f90 source code files
- Main-level directory for KPP solver
- KPP source code files for 43 tracer simulation (without secondary organic aerosols)
- KPP source code files for 54 tracer simulation (with secondary organic aerosols)
- KPP integrator files (i.e. rosenbrock, radau, runge-kutta, lsodes)
- Directory where automatic documentation is built
- Directory where library (*.a) files will be created
- Directory where module (*.mod) files will be sent
- Directory where executable (geos) files will be sent
- Directory containing GEOS-Chem help screen
The previous GEOS-Chem Makefiles:
are now obsolete and have been removed. They have been replaced by the Makefiles in the following subdirectories:
- Main-level "router" makefile; calls down to makefiles in other subdirectories
- Defines compilation and linking commands for the IFORT, PGI, Sun/Studio, and XLF compilers
- Makefile to build the GEOS-Chem code. Also calls down to makefiles in subdirctories to build 3rd-party codes.
- Main-level "router" directory for KPP solver
- Makefile to build KPP for GEOS-Chem 43 tracer simulation
- Makefile to build KPP for GEOS-Chem 54 tracer simulation
- Makefile to build the GEOS-Chem documentation files with LaTeX
- Makefile to display the GEOS-Chem help screen
Please read our GEOS-Chem Makefile Reference Document for a full description of each of these files.