NOTE: Page under construction
This page contains information about the carbon dioxide (CO2) simulation in GEOS-Chem.
The current GEOS-Chem CO2 simulation was developed by Parv Suntharalingam, now at the University of East Anglia (Suntharalingam et al., 2003; 2004). A major update to the CO2 simulation has been developed by Ray Nassar and Dylan B.A. Jones of the University of Toronto (Nassar et al., 2010). This update was delivered to the GEOS-Chem software development team at Harvard on 2010 April 1.
The update retains the original six CO2 fluxes: fossil fuel, ocean exchange, biomass burning, biofuel burning, balanced terrestrial exchange (CASA) and net terrestrial exchange. New inventories are available as options for some of these fluxes and other new fluxes have been added such as emissions from international shipping and aviation. There is also now an optional feature to include CO2 production from the oxidation of CO, CH4 and NMHCs. This will make GEOS-Chem the only model to account for the chemical production of CO2. This chemical source is an online implementation of the concept described in Suntharalingam et al. (2005), now with seasonality, updated year-specific numbers and other modifications.
The full GEOS-Chem CO2 update was applied to v8-02-01 (along with some patches). It is now undergoing testing and shuold be publicly available in the next GEOS-Chem release (v8-03-02). The model update will be accompanied by an update to the GEOS-Chem online manual. The references below are cited in the code's comments and the online manual.
Authors and collaborators
CO2 simulation user groups
|University of Toronto||Ray Nassar||...|
|Add yours here!||Add yours here!||Add yours here!|
The updated CO2 simulation will be incorporated into GEOS-Chem v8-03-02.
- Andres, R. J., G. Marland, I. Fung, and E. Matthews, A 1°x1° distribution of carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel consumption and cement manufacture, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 10, 419–429, 1996.
- Baker, D. F., et al., TransCom 3 inversion intercomparison: Impact of transport model errors on the interannual variability of regional CO2 fluxes, 1988-2003, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 20, GB1002, doi:10.1029/2004GB002439, 2006.
- Boden, T.A., G. Marland, and R.J. Andres, Global, Regional, and National Fossil-Fuel CO2 Emissions. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, U.S. Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, Tenn., U.S.A. doi 10.3334/CDIAC/00001, 2009.
- Corbett & Koehler, Updated emissions from ocean shipping, J. Geophys. Res., 108, D20, 4650, 2003.
- Corbett, J. J., and H. W. Koehler, Considering alternative input parameters in an activity-based ship fuel consumption and emissions model: Reply to comment by Øyvind Endresen et al. on Updated emissions from ocean shipping, J. Geophys. Res., 109, 2004.
- Duncan, B. N., R. V. Martin, A. C. Staudt, R. Yevich, and J. A. Logan, Interannual and seasonal variability of biomass burning emissions constrained by satellite observations, J. Geophys. Res., 108(D2), 4100, doi:10.1029/2002JD002378, 2003.
- Endresen, O, et al., A historical reconstruction of ships fuel consumption and emissions, J. Geophys. Res, 112, D12301, 2007.
- Kim, B. Y., et al, System for assessing Aviation's Global Emissions (SAGE) Version 1.5 global Aviation Emissions Inventories for 2000-2004, 2005.
- Kim, B. Y., et al., System for assessing Aviation’s Global Emissions (SAGE), Part 1: Model description and inventory results, Transportation Research, Part D 12, 325–346, 2007.
- Le Quere, C. et al, Trends in the sources and sinks of carbon dioxide, Nature Geoscience, doi:10.1038/ngeo689, 2009.
- Nassar et al, Modeling CO2 with improved emission inventories and CO2 production from the oxidation of other carbon species, Geoscientific Model Development, in preparation, 2010.
- Olsen, S. C., and J. T. Randerson, Differences between surface and column atmospheric CO2 and implications for carbon cycle research, J. Geophys. Res., 109, D02301, doi:10.1029/2003JD003968, 2004.
- Potter, C. S., J. T. Randerson, C. B. Field, P. A. Matson, P. M. Vitousek, H. A. Mooney, and S. A. Klooster, Terrestrial ecosystem production: A process model based on global satellite and surface data, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 7, 811–841, 1993.
- Sausen, R. and U. Schumann, Estimates of the Climate Response to Aircraft CO2 and NOx Emissions Scenarios, Climate Change, 44: 27-58, 2000.
- Suntharalingam, P., C. M. Spivakovsky, J. A. Logan, and M. B. McElroy, Estimating the distribution of terrestrial CO2 sources and sinks from atmospheric measurements: Sensitivity to configuration of the observation network, J. Geophys. Res., 108(D15), 4452, doi:10.1029/2002JD002207, 2003.
- Suntharalingam, P., D. J. Jacob, P. I. Palmer, J. A. Logan, R. M. Yantosca, Y. Xiao, M. J. Evans, D. G. Streets, S. L. Vay, and G. W. Sachse, Improved quantification of Chinese carbon fluxes using CO2/CO correlations in Asian outflow, J. Geophys. Res., 109, D18S18, doi:10.1029/2003JD004362, 2004.
- Suntharalingam, P., J. T. Randerson, N. Krakauer, J. A. Logan, and D. J. Jacob, Influence of reduced carbon emissions and oxidation on the distribution of atmospheric CO2: Implications for inversion analyses, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 19, GB4003, doi:10.1029/2005GB002466, 2005.
- Takahashi, T., R. A. Feely, R. Weiss, R. H. Wanninkhof, D. W. Chipman, S. C. Sutherland, T. T. Takahashi, Global air-sea flux of CO2: an estimate based on measurements of sea-air pCO2 difference, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 94, 8292–8299, 1997.
- Takahashi, T., et al., Climatological mean and decadal change in surface ocean pCO2, and net sea–air CO2 flux over the global oceans, Deep-Sea Res. II, doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2008.12.009, 2009.
- Wang, C., J.J. Corbett, J. Firestone, Modeling Energy Use and Emissions from North American Shipping: Application of the Ship Traffic, Energy, and Environment Model, Environ. Sci. Technol., 41, 3226-3232, 2008.
- Wilkersen, J.T. et al., Analysis of emission data from global commercial Aviation: 2004 and 2006, Atmos. Chem. Phys. Disc., 10, 2945-2983, 2010.
- Yevich, R., and J. A. Logan, An assessment of biofuel use and burning of agricultural waste in the developing world, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 17(4), 1095, doi:10.1029/2002GB001952, 2003. PDF
None at this time.
--Bob Y. 12:26, 29 March 2010 (EDT)
--Ray Nassar 11:36, 29 April 2010 (EDT)