NCL tools for GEOS-Chem
NCL4GC, the NCL tools for GEOS-Chem, are in the initial phase of development, and are therefore very incomplete.
We will be developing NCL4GC as time allows. Check back here for further updates.
On this page we describe NCL4GC, which is a package of NCL routines designed for use with GEOS-Chem.
Text to be added
You can download NCL4GC via Git:
git clone https://bitbucket.org/gcst/ncl4gc NCL4GC
If you use csh or tcsh, make the following updates to your ~/.cshrc file:
# For NCL (NCAR command language) setenv NCARG_ROOT "/opt/ncl-6.1.2" # i.e. where you have installed NCL unsetenv NCARG_LIB unsetenv NCARG_DATABASE unsetenv NCARG_FONTCAPS unsetenv NCARG_GRAPHCAPS unsetenv NCARG_NCARG unsetenv NCARG_INCLUDE # For NCL4GC (local NCL routines) setenv NCL4GC "$HOME/NCL4GC" # i.e. where you have installed NCL4GC
If you use bash, then add these updates to your ~/.bashrc file:
# For NCL (NCAR command language) export NCARG_ROOT="/opt/ncl-6.1.2" # i.e. where you have installed NCL unset NCARG_LIB unset NCARG_DATABASE unset NCARG_FONTCAPS unset NCARG_GRAPHCAPS unset NCARG_NCARG unset NCARG_INCLUDE # For NCL4GC (local NCL routines) export NCL4GC="$HOME/NCL4GC"
You can use GNU Make to build the shared object libraries and documentation.
make all # Builds both shared obj libs and doc make help # Displays help screen w/ other options
--Bob Y. 16:39, 6 December 2013 (EST)
When you type either
the documentation will be built in the doc/ subdirectory. There are 2 volumes:
- NCL4GC Reference Guide Vol 1: NCL scripts for use with GEOS-Chem
- Fortran code used to create NCL4GC shared object libraries
You can refer to these files for more information about a particular routine (how to call it, what inputs it takes, etc.)
The NCL4GC routines are subdivided into the following categories. Each of these categories is a subdirectory of the NCL4GC main directory:
- NCL routines for manipulating netCDF files.
- Fortran code used to build the shared object libraries
- NCL routines used to create plots for the GEOS-Chem User's Guide.
- NCL routines used to create and/or regrid files for the Grid-Independent GEOS-Chem code.
- netCDF files (and the NCL routines used to create them) with the longitude & latitude definitions for the various horizontal grids used by GEOS-Chem.
- NCL routines for regridding variables from netCDF files.
--Bob Y. 17:16, 7 April 2014 (EDT)