GFED3 biomass burning emissions
This page describes the GFED3 biomass burning emissions used by GEOS-Chem.
- 1 GFED3 monthly data
- 2 GFED3 daily and 3-hourly emissions
- 3 GFED3 data files and GAMAP
- 4 References
GFED3 monthly data
Prasad Kasibhatla wrote:
I have updated the GFED3 database to include data for 2011. Please note that GPCP precip data (one of the input datasets needed for GFED3) was not available for all of 2011 - the ERA-Iterim precip (http://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/reanalysis/era-interim) was therefore used for the second half of 2011.
There were also small isolated changes prior to 2011 in this version of GFED3. I have therefore reprocessed the entire 1997-2011 GFED3 dataset for GEOS-Chem.
GFED3 monthly in GEOS-Chem v10-01 and newer versions
In GEOS-Chem v10-01 and newer versions, the GFED3 biomass burning emissions are computed with the HEMCO emissions component. We have created new GFED3 data files (in COARDS-compliant netCDF format) for use with HEMCO. These new data files are contained in the HEMCO data directory tree. For detailed instructions on how to download these data files to your disk server, please see our Downloading the HEMCO data directories wiki post.
--Bob Y. 14:34, 17 March 2015 (EDT)
GFED3 monthly in GEOS-Chem versions prior to v10-01
GFED3 data is available from 1997-2011. In GEOS-Chem v9-02 and older versions, the GFED3 data files are stored in binary punch format at this directory tree:
ftp ftp.as.harvard.edu cd gcgrid/geos-chem/data/GEOS_NATIVE/GFED3_201212/
The data is read from disk by module GeosCore/gfed3_biomass_mod.F.
--Bob Y. 15:12, 13 February 2015 (EST)
GFED3 daily and 3-hourly emissions
This update was tested in the 1-month benchmark simulation v9-01-03l and approved on 18 May 2012.
Prasad Kasibhatla wrote:
- I have updated GEOS-Chem to incorporate the capabilty to use GFED3 daily and 3-hourly fire fractions, and to regrid on the fly from the GFED3 native resolution (0.5x0.5) to the model resolution.
- Daily and 3hourly fractions are only available for 2003-2010. For methodology, see
- Mu, M., J.T. Randerson, G.R. van der Werf, L. Giglio, P. Kasibhatla, D. Morton, G.J. Collatz, R.S. DeFries, E.J. Hyer, E.M. Prins, D.W.T. Griffith, D. Wunch, G.C. Toon, V. Sherlock, and P.O. Wennberg. 2011. Daily and 3-hourly variability in global fire emissions and consequences for atmospheric model predictions of carbon monoxide. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres. 116: D24303. doi:10.1029/2011JD016245.
- Since fire fraction are not available as a function of type of fire type (as is the case for dry matter burnt), the same fractions are applied to all 6 fire types (ag waste, deforestation, extratropical forest, peat, savanna, and woodland).
- I took the opportunity to rewrite gfed3_biomass_mod.F which mainly involved cleaning up code but with one big change - regridding directly from the GFED3 native resolution to the model resolution by adapting the MAP_A2A regriddng package mentioned in Bob's Model Engineer Report.
- As a result of the change to the regridding, the GFED3 data file archive has to be updated to bpch files at the native resolution. I have these ready and will supply to GC support team. Note that these require the creation of new directory structure since they do not belong in the GEOS_1x1 data directory.
- GFED3 for 2011 is likely to be available in late spring-early summer. An added data layer for fire emissions that may be missed by the burnt area algorithm is currently being developed.
- There are occasional cells where the burnt dry matter seems to unrealistically high. For example in Dec 2009, the cell centered at 13.25 degree lat, 123.75 degree lon has DM = 13054 g DM/m2/month. The next highest grid box that month is about 723 g DM/m2/month. The GFED team is aware of this and is investigating.
--Melissa Payer 15:03, 21 February 2012 (EST)
Prasad Kasibhatla wrote:
- I have updated the GFED3 patch file to:
- revise the regridding-on-the-fly algorithm - the orginal MAP_A2A algorithm results in a bit of incorrect smearing when regridding grid-average fluxes.
- add code so that the GFED3 code works correctly for nested grid simulations
- correct a small error - in a few tropical forest boxes, woodland (rather than tropical forest) emissions factros were being applied.
--Melissa Payer 16:13, 9 March 2012 (EST)
Bug fix for 3-hourly GFED3 emissions
Shannon Koplitz wrote:
- I think there might be a bug in gfed3_biomass_mod.F when trying to run with 3-hourly GFED emissions. Running with 3-hourly emissions from the first day of a month seems to work fine, but trying to start on any other day appears to cause a problem. This didn't happen when running with daily emissions and I think it might have to do with how the monthly and 3-hourly emissions are coupled.
Christoph Keller wrote:
- I think I know what's going on. Since the same 3-hourly fractions are used throughout the entire month, the fractions are only read once per month.
- To construct the 3-hourly filename, the YYYYMMDD string is used (In gfed3_biomass_mod.F, line 670), which is hardcoded to have the day set to 1 (this happens on line 542). However, the TAU0 value that is passed to READ_BPCH2_GFED3 is constructed using the current day (DD), which can differ from 1 (DD is defined on line 505, the corresponding TAU0 on line 668). So TAU0 does not match the time stamp in the 3-hourly file if the starting day differs from the first of the month, and you get the error in READ_BPCH2_GFED3 that you observe.
- If you hardcode DD to 1 in GET_TAU0 on line 668 I would expect that the error disappears. So just use
TAU0 = GET_TAU0( MM, 1, YYYY, IT3H )
- Instead of
TAU0 = GET_TAU0( MM, DD, YYYY, IT3H )
--Melissa Payer 15:02, 16 April 2013 (EDT)
Update GFED3 emissions to 2011
Prasad Kasibhatla wrote:
- I have updated the GFED3 database to include data for 2011. Please note that GPCP precip data (one of the input datasets needed for GFED3) was not available for all of 2011 - the ERA-Iterim precip (http://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/reanalysis/era-interim) was therefore used for the second half of 2011.
- There were also small isolated changes prior to 2011 in this version of GFED3. I have therefore reprocessed the entire 1997-2011 GFED3 dataset for GEOS-Chem, now stored in at Harvard in the:
- directory structure.
- If you wish to use this updated GFED3 data, please also modify the following line in the module file GeosCore/gfed3_biomass_mod.F, from:
CALL GFED3_AVAILABLE( YYYY, 1997, 2010 )
CALL GFED3_AVAILABLE( YYYY, 1997, 2011 )
- Please note that this is the last update for GFED3. Plans are underway for GFED4, whcih will ultimately replace the pre-2011 GFED3 dataset and go forward in time post-2011.
Bob Yantosca wrote:
- Please note, we are placing this data into the GEOS_NATIVE/GFED3_201212 subdirectory so that it will not conflict with the existing GFED3 data in GEOS_NATIVE/GFED3_201203. By not overwriting the data, we will be able to replicate GEOS-Chem results made with prior model versions using the data in GFED3_201203.
- We will add support for the updated GFED3 data to the standard GEOS-Chem along with other emissions updates (slated for GEOS-Chem_v9-02), and we will run our customary 1-month benchmark to test the results. In the meantime, if you would like to use the new GFED3 data for 2011, then please download the data to your location and make the above-mentioned update in gfed3_biomass_mod.F in your research code.
--Melissa Payer 18:02, 18 December 2012 (EST)
GFED3 data files and GAMAP
If you want to read the GFED3 dry matter files with GAMAP, please make sure you add the following lines to these files:
In IDL/gamap2/input_files/diaginfo.dat, add the line:
8000 GFED3-BB GFED3 biomass burning
In IDL/gamap2/input_files/tracerinfo.dat files, add the lines:
#============================================================================== # OFFSET=8000: GFED3 dry matter emissions #============================================================================== AGW_DM AGW dry matter emissions 0.e0 1 8091 1.0E+00 g/m2/month DEF_DM DEF dry matter emissions 0.e0 1 8092 1.0E+00 g/m2/month FOR_DM FOR dry matter emissions 0.e0 1 8093 1.0E+00 g/m2/month PET_DM PET dry matter emissions 0.e0 1 8094 1.0E+00 g/m2/month SAV_DM SAV dry matter emissions 0.e0 1 8095 1.0E+00 g/m2/month WDL_DM WDL dry matter emissions 0.e0 1 8096 1.0E+00 g/m2/month
These modifications will be made in GAMAP v2-16 and higher versions.
--Bob Y. 16:37, 30 January 2012 (EST)=
- GFED web page.
- Guido van der Werf's GFED3 web page.
- Global fire emissions and the contribution of deforestation, savanna, forest, agricultural, and peat fires (1997–2009), Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 10, 16153-16230, 2010. PDF
--Bob Y. 15:42, 13 February 2015 (EST)