Please visit the links below to learn more about the various aspects of the GEOS-5 met fields:
GEOS-5.1.0 and GEOS-5.2.0 data products
The current GEOS-5 met field archive for GEOS-Chem contains data from the GEOS-5.1.0 and GEOS-5.2.0 data products. These data have a native resolution of 0.5° lat x 0.666° lon x 72 hybrid levels. We have archived this data to the GEOS-Chem global and nested horizontal grids.
Please see the following links for more information.
- GEOS-5 issues
- List of GEOS-5 met fields used by GEOS-Chem
- Availability of GEOS-5 data
- GEOS-5 met field reprocessing (NOTE: This was completed in 2009.)
- GEOS-5 products page at GMAO
- GEOS-5 File Specification Document (version 5.1.0)
- GEOS-5 File Specification Document (version 5.2.0)
- GEOS-5 data averaging intervals
Also be sure to see our Overview of GMAO met data products page for some basic information about the different generations of GMAO met data used by GEOS-Chem.
--Bob Y. 10:42, 4 October 2011 (EDT)
GEOS-5.7.2 data product
In Summer 2011, NASA/GMAO plans to make a major upgrade to its near real time (NRT) GEOS-5 data production system. Designated as GEOS-5.7.2, the new system includes many scientific improvements to the dynamics, physics, and the analysis. These improvements improve the quality of all GEOS-5 products. Additionally, a few major engineering changes are also present in the new system, including:
- the horizontal spatial resolution is increased to 1/4° lat x 5/16° lon
- file format is changed from the current HDF-4 to netCDF-4/HDF-5
- temporal frequency of 3-D products is changed from 6 hr to 3 hr
- temporal frequency of most 2-D products is changed from 3 hr to 1 hr
- new variables are added such as ocean and aerosols fields
- The groupings of variables in the GEOS-5.7.2 file collections are considerably different from those of the current GEOS-5.2.0
For more information, please see the following:
- GEOS-5.7.2 file specification document, Version 1.2 (04 Aug 2011)
- GEOS-5.7.2 upgrade page
- GEOS-5.7.2 page on the GEOS-Chem wiki
- List of GEOS-5.7.2 met fields
--Bob Y. 14:41, 4 August 2011 (EDT)
Acknowledge the source of GEOS-5 data in your publications
The GEOS-5 (or GEOS-5.7.2) data used in this study/project have been provided by the Global Modeling and Assimilation Office (GMAO) at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
--Bob Y. 14:38, 23 April 2012 (EDT)