Creating netCDF data files for GEOS-Chem
- Introduction to netCDF
- Check if netCDF is already installed on your system
- Use Spack to install netCDF on your system
- The COARDS netCDF conventions for earth science data
- Working with netCDF data files
- Creating netCDF data files for GEOS-Chem
- Other libraries used by GEOS-Chem
Checklist for preparing data files
- If you have a data file that is in binary punch (bpch) file format, then create a netCDF file from the bpch file.
- Once you have a netCDF file, determine which elements of the file are not compliant with the COARDS conventions
- Edit non-conforming variable names, variable attributes, and/or global attributes to make them COARDS-compliant.
- Regrid the data (if necessary).
- Crop the data (e.g. if you are using a nested-grid simulation).
- Chunk and deflate the file to reduce file size and improve I/O performance.
Submitting your files for inclusion to the GEOS-Chem data repository
If you would like to submit your data files for inclusion into standard GEOS-Chem data repository, then please follow our Guidelines for submitting code and data updates for GEOS-Chem.